Maintaining CPD points is now a
common practice among professionals world over.
Possessing a valid CPD certificate issued at the
national level will give you recognition by professional
bodies overseas and will help to obtain jobs or
postgraduate training posts in foreign countries. The
NCPD certificate will help to protect you against
litigation if your skills or knowledge is challenged in
a court of law.
The Sri Lanka Medical
Association (SLMA) and Sri Lanka Medical Council (SLMC)
have decided to introduce National Continuing
Professional Development(NCPD) programme to improve the
professional standards among doctors of this country.
Specialists or postgraduate trainees of a particular
field should enter this programme through their
respective professional bodies(their colleges).
The Sri Lanka College
of Haematologists(SLCH) announced the commencement of
the NCPD programme on 29th January 2011 at the Annual
General Meeting(AGM) of SLCH.
Is it compulsory?
• It is not compulsory and is not linked to the
renewal of registration with the SLMC
• It only indicates that you have engaged in regular CPD
• It is an essential part of accepted good professional
What you should do:
• Apply to the college for registration (Form is
• Once the college registers you. SLCH will give you a
registration number .
• Start collecting your CPD points according to
guidelines below (point system) Eg: Outcome 1, 2, 3 etc.
• Doctors are expected to score 50 points during the
next 12 calendar months from the date of registration.
At least 50% should be from your specialized area. You
are expected to cover at least 03 outcome categories.
• You should keep your own record of your CPD
• Decide to which of the five outcome categories any CPD
acivity belongs to and allocate correct amount of points
• Use A4 size photocopies of the form attached (Annex
01-personal learning log) to record each CPD activity
indicating the outcome category number( at the top) and
CPD points claimed. .(02 EXAMPLES are attached
• Make your portfolio by binding such A4 copies(above)
with the proof for each activity (photocopies of
certificates/attendance sheets etc.) when you finish
collecting 50 points in one year.
• Attach the summary (annex 02) as the first page of the
• submit your portfolio to the CPD committee, SLCH .
What is a portfolio?
• CPD portfolio is a collection of evidence of your
• Physically it is a collection of A4 size sheets, each
with a record of a CPD activity, bound together
preferable in a ring binder file.
• The Committee will go through it and send it to SLMA
NCCPDIM(National Centre for continuing professional
Development in Medicine), who will issue the NCCPD
certificate to the college. SLCH will in turn send it to
• The registered members are expected to submit
portforlios annually. Currently the NCCPDIM issues NCCPD
• Registration form to be sent by registered post to;
Sri Lanka College of Haematologists,
No 06, Wijerama House
• The envelop should read at its left hand corner In
The point system was devised by the SLMA and SLMC
together with all colleges. This has been revised in
Credit point scheme:-
• All CPD activities are categorized under five
• Each CPD activity is entitled to a certain number of
points and you decide on it yourself according to
• You need to score fifty credit points in one year in
order to obtain the National Continuing Professional
Development Certificate (NCPDC).